The Chartered Institute of logistics & Transport is the leading professional body associated with logistics and transport. With over 33,000 members in over 100 countries worldwide, CILT holds unparalleled professional international recognition. Established in 1919 and receiving its Royal Charter in 1926, the institute has an exciting history behind it, but is always adapting to stay consistent with current logistics and transport issues.
The chartered institute of Logistics and Transport is a prestigious professional body of logistics and transport professionals. Its membership is cherished internationally and is considered equivalent to degree in transport and a qualification for employment in transport sector. The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport is a truly international organization. It has a network of National Councils and sections that span the globe.
The principal objective of the Institute is “To promote and encourage the art and science of logistics and transport”. The Institute achieves this objective through both its membership and its educational qualifications.
Membership provides a professional identity to those in the logistics and transport sector, as well as international recognition. The Institute’s professional qualifications educate not only those already in the sector, but also those wishing to enter into it.
The Institute is represented worldwide with National Councils, National Independent Sections and Institute Branches. Each territorial organization is, in its own right, a separate organization representing the Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport in their territory. They all share the common cause of achieving the institute’s primary objective.
We have adopted a set of values which guide our work across the profession and enable us to be clear as to our purpose and our method. We will:
- Be inclusive and welcoming to all
- Promote professionalism and high standards
- Act at all times in an ethical way
- Create activities to inspire individual opportunity
- Care deeply about our environment, our economy and our society
- Be vibrant and progressive
To be the leading global membership organization providing education and development for both individuals and corporations within our range of professions
- To be recognized as a leading policy and practitioner voice on logistics, supply chain and transport issues
- To raise the image and status of our profession
- To have a membership which reflects the diversity of the societies in which we operate
- To be the provider of “the standard” qualifications of the profession
- To significantly increase membership by growing both individual and corporate numbers
- To be recognized as an ambassador for CILT across the world
- To generate sufficient funds to fulfill our obligations and to invest in our vision